David Warlick - Redefining Literacy For The 21st Century

David Warlick is presenting today in Salt Lake City, an absolutely wonderful way to spend a Friday afternoon. This post represents my live-blogged thoughts, written as he speaks. All quotations within are from Mr. Warlick.

My favorite kind of conference to present at is a library media conference because they understand that it’s not about the technology.
Having spent yesterday with Media Coordinators from across the state at the UELMA conference, I wholly concur with this statement. One of the most enjoyable sessions I have ever experienced was put on yesterday by Mike Goodman, of Mt. Jordan Middle School. In Mr. Goodman's presentation, there was absolutely no technology used, apart from a pair of scissors. Nevertheless, the experience was highly educational and rich in interactive learning.


A slightly upgraded presentation than the
one he gave at UCET last year.

David Warlick's Second Life office is here. I wonder how many other educators have an office in Second Life. Librarians should - it's a perfect place to grant access to your information.
What is the single most important thing we need to be teaching our students?
In my opinion, our students truly need to learn how to teach themselves. Bar none.
What is literacy? If learning how to read is all that we've taught our children, then is that child truly literate? Or is that child dangerous?
David makes a pretty convincing argument here, relating to children and their need to learn further skills, in addition to reading. I would liken a student that knows only how to read to a cook that only knows how to purchase ingredients, a driver that has no keys but is sitting in the driver seat, and a baseball player that has yet to take performance enhancing drugs. I threw in that last one to see if you were paying attention. :)

David plays with Finale and a little song he's written.
Now where I come from, that's called jazz. I like to call it math.
Too few educators use music to teach math. Why? Music, with it's timings - fractions and all - provides the perfect environment - teachable moment, if you will.
I will never make a living as an author - it's hard, tedious, and I'm not very good at it. However, with the first three additions of my first book, I've made enough money to send my daughter to college.
I'm thinking it's about time I write my book. What do you think? Any suggested topics?

Speaking of Consuelo Molina's Sweatshop video, David said:
That video would not have been as powerful without the music.
Amen. Ditto that for Pay Attention.

Below are links to resources that were provided during the presentation.

Technorati Tags:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Creative Commons License
Original content distributed on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.